Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Travel Adventures & Surprises

It is always interesting when you travel to different parts of the country. The sights from the air are so amazing. The colors up north are basic white and you need to go south to get green and brown. In the south you see all the blue swimming pools. There number surprised me. The hills and valleys make for a delightful picture. At night you have the lights making the patterns.
We went to two stores in Austin. In Central Market and Whole Food Store I saw so many surprises.
So many types of coffee and tea. Salt a mundane spice right? NOT! I saw red sea salt and pink chunks of sea salt plus many more kinds. The other spices were there in mass. If it was- it was probably in these stores. I felt like a little child who hadn't been anywhere or seen anything.
The choices of cheese,of vegetables and even fruit nothing like I have seen around here.
And now a few words about the air ports. I was in two small and two large ones. Going thru security was nothing and I personally don't understand all the complaining about it. Dallas needs more boards with info on flights. Chicago needs some transportation for the elderly going from terminal to terminal. There are people willing to help. There are enough places to get food since there isn't too many flights that serve anything but juices,soda or water. There are a great number of places to buy things as reminders of the trip. I like reminders in my head.
I saw one young serviceman sitting on Skylink in Dallas getting ready to go overseas. I told him to stay safe and I would pray for him. And I do! He looked so young.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

We don't have that many varieties of salt here either but why do Texans have so much more choices of produce than you have. If you had such a store near you, would you buy these things?

Joyce's Ramblings said...

LGS I probably would buy a little bit just to try. Some of the produce comes from Mexico. All except the little peppers since I learned that lesson in the early 50s down in Panama.

Anonymous said...

Salt in colours? Amazing to me. All I know is plain salt in card box containers. And spices are stored in a rack at the end of the supermarket alley, generally variations of pepper, salt and - extravagant! - "Spices of Provence", a Southern French county, a mix of different herbs. I grow some spices in my kitchen or on the balcony.
Good to see that your traveling was easy and more or less uncomplicated. I think you touched the young man in a way, I hope so. I am in my forties and see young men risking their lives ... these fools have no idea what they do, to themselves and to others.
In a way time teaches me to trust in GOd.

Joyce's Ramblings said...

I have some spice seeds to plant in spring but I won't put them on a window sill now. It's much to cold.
The young man touched me also; putting a face to the war. Some times you can only trust in God and your faith to get you thru.

Sarah said...

Sounds like you had a really great trip. So interesting! Pink salt? Lol.