Thursday, November 09, 2006

Veterans Day

For us it is November 11. At my age I can remember many wars and many veterans coming home and many not coming home. In the second world war I saw truck loads of prisoners of war going to camps in Milwaukee area. I remember how young they looked. I later had a girl friend that was German and was a young girl in Germany during the war. You get a
different look of how things were. During the Korean War I watched a troop transport going thru the Panama Canal loaded with troops going to Korea. They were chained inside their baracks the night before they left. The bridge over the Miraflores Locks was jammed with people waiting for one last good bye. No traffic was moving. The bridge was filled with people.
The troops were on deck in ODs -winter uniforms- not what you wear in Panama. These are an old ladies memories.
Oh I know Vietnam and all the rest and I know a few young men in Iraq but I give the old memories just to make people think
WHY HAVEN'T WE LEARNED? Don't ever forget and don't ever look down at a veteran. They should get our respect and our thanks.

3 comments:

Tammy said...

My grandpa is a WW2 veteran, and he has instilled in us the respect for soldiers.

Joyce's Ramblings said...

Tammy,
That was great to hear as there are so many people that don't.

Anonymous said...

I did a post about my Granddad who died in battle abroad, while my Grandma was pregnant with my Mum. It's the post before my 'I can only imagine' post. I wept buckets just writing about it. He's buried in Holland.