Friday, April 03, 2009

Big Day?

Today I took a big step. Not a usual big step for anyone else but for me it was. I hadn't taken my car more than a mile for months. I have depended on my son or my neighbors to get me places. Yesterday I received notice for license renewal at the cost of $75 and I have kept insurance up. It was time for me to make up my mind. I had spent over 75 dollars for a new battery a short while ago. Was I going to spend more money for a car I didn't use or trust? The car is old and you can only start it one way and you have to warm it up a great deal before you put it in gear. Well today I wanted to get something in a town 20 miles away. I first went to the post office in the car and left it running while I went in; drove home and turned car off. I went back out a little later and the car started so I took off. Not sure where or how far I was comfortable in going. I made it up to the store, I parked the car and went in. When I came out later I said a prayer that i could get the car started and go home. I was hoping it wouldn't die in parking lot when I put it in gear as it had the last time I went up. Stopping in the middle of the road or half way out of a parking spot is scary. It started and didn't stop and I was able to get home.
My fear may seem silly to others but they haven't set in middle of a parking lot. I don't know if its age related but I was afraid.
God answered my prayer.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't think your fear is silly, you can't trust a car, but you can trust God.

Big hugs!

Sarah xx

Anonymous said...

I think it's always a little frightening when a machine simply stops or does not what it is supposed to do - as if the thing would decide by itself to stop and run no more.
It is a man made device for a certain purpose and nothing else, we all rely on these machines, need them - and when it fails an absolutely new situation comes up we have to deal with. You could call it a surprise.
I am not too fond of surprises. Especially when my car stalls somewhere, because when I use it on the road or the lot or where it is to be used, I have to follow rules and not to do surprising things like stopping somewhere - even when I could say to my excuse that it was not my decision but my car's!
It's a man made device, and we rely on it, and it should not make decisions of its own.
So what was your decision - do you keep it? Over the summer it should behave better and be more reliable.